Gluten-free Newton Treat. Furthermore, my daughter really like the Newton fig snacks with the natural sweetness from the figs and a soft outer layer. For instance, the outer layer is made out of a pastry or biscuit with a gooey fruit center. Altogether, these irritable treats are like a cake. Therefore, who can resist these healthy snacks. Especially, not the children who has a never ending craving for treats.
Gluten-free Newton Treat
1/2 cup butter(soft)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
large egg 1
orange juice 1 tbsp
vanilla extract 1 tsp
zest of 1/2 of an orange
1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1 tsp tapioca starch
1 tsp xantham gum
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
dried figs 1 1/2 cup
1/3 cup water
zest of 1/2 of an orange
pinch of salt
1/2 cup cornstarch for rolling
For the dough
- With a medium size bowl, add soft butter and sugar. Also, blend it together.
- Then, add egg, orange juice, vanilla, and orange zest. Whisk together until mix together.
- Moreover, add in brown rice flour, coconut flour, millet flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder. Stir.
- Finally, place the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour.
For the filling
- In addition, finely chop the figs. Furthermore, place the figs in a saucepan with water. Let it boil for 5-10minutes.
- For instance, pour the mixture in a processor. Also, add in orange zest and salt. The mixture should be smooth. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Turn on the oven to 375 degrees F. Hence, take a baking tray and lay down parchment paper. As well as, split the dough into four parts.
- Secondly, clean the table surface, sprinkle lots of cornstarch and rub the cornstarch on the rolling pin.
- Thus, place dough on sprinkle surface, roll dough into long and wide. 4 ” x 10″. Cut the edges to give a neater appearance.
- Soon, scoop the fig mixture on half of the dough and avoid the edges. Then, sprinkle cornstarch on the spatula to help flip the dough on to the other side of the dough. Press to seal the sides. Cut into 1.5 inches.
- Finally, place the fig snack on to bake tray.
- Consequently, bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Let it cool.
Tips for making the snacks
- On the other hand, make sure the figs turn to puree without any chunks in it
- Certainly, cook the fig mixture with lots of stirring to prevent from burning
- cook fig mixture well to give a sweeter taste
- Needs a lot of cornstarch to prevent the dough from sticking to anything or together
- Fillings can be poured in a bag to be squeezed onto the dough or scooped onto the dough
Consequently, these fig bars is a good size to add as a snack or as a treat for the lunch box. Thus, if anyone needs a re-energizing snack, fig bars is a fantastic choice for that. Due to rushing to work, fig bars a wonderful on the go snack for breakfast. No time to eat no worries anyone can still snack healthy on the go.