Fall Warm Comforting Lotus Root Soup
When I was little my Mom would always make lotus root soup. I love the flavor it is extremely tasty and a comforting soup. I feel warm, and cozy after having the soup.
The soup is cooling and it helps to remove body heat or balance the body. This balances the chi. The soup is soothing and nourishing.
2 pound pork bone
1 pound lotus root
2 slice of ginger
10 cup of water
salt and pepper for flavor
2 tbsp green bean
1/2 dried cuttlefish
1 tbsp red bean
- In a pot, boil a pot of water. This is used to blanch the meat. Once the water boils. Cook for another minute. Then, rinse the meat.
- Peel and cut the lotus root into chunks.
- Add all the ingredients to the boiling water. Let it cook. If the water gets low, add hot water to the pot of soup.
- Let the ingredients cook. After the ingredients boil, turn down the heat. Let the soup simmer. Cook the soup for 3 hours.
- Add salt and pepper for flavor.
Why do you blanch the meat?
This is to get rid of the blood clot and remove the pork smell. Once you change to a new pot of water, you remove the scum layer sitting on the surface.
About the Ingredient:
Green bean – add more flavor to the soup. This makes the soup sweeter.
Red Bean – This thickens the soup. Red bean has a high amount of fiber, protein, and antioxidant.
Lotus Root – This root is in season in the fall. This root is in high in fiber, vitamin, and mineral. It is good for blood circulation and helps to lower cholesterol.
Dried Cuttlefish – It is not a fish. A squid. It contains a large amount of vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and zinc.
This soup is great all year round. Some Chinese soup recommend to be made in summer while other in the winter time but this one can be made all year round. What else can you use the lotus root, you can stir fry it with vegetables. Lotus root has multiple purposes.