Nutty Pie Crust. Not too long ago. I bought a pie from a close-by farm made from fresh fruits grown there. After returning home, I baked the pie. Furthermore, I love the aroma of freshly baked goods especially with a crispy crust and juicy center. Not only that, my son loves the fruity center which he focused on. Therefore, I bought a pie mold that I was very excited to attempt homemade pies.
Nutty Pie Crust
2 1/3 cup almond flour
4 tbsp. vegan butter
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Then, add all the ingredients to the food processor. Blend.
- This makes four small ones. Secondly, press onto the mold to make sure the dough is evenly spread out. (Do leave some of the dough for the top of the pie. Also, poke holes in the dough. Bake for 15 minutes. Next, let it cool.
Nutty Pie Filling
1 tbsp vegan butter
2 large Ambrosia apples, peeled & cored
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1/3 cup apple juice
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp each (cinnamon, vanilla extract, grated lemon zest)
- To begin, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Secondly, add the apples and stir. The apple should start to soften. Then, add the maple syrup and apple juice.
- Then, add cornstarch to the mixture. Finally, add 1 tsp of cinnamon, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- Finally, let the mixture cool.
Put together the Pie
- First, take the pie crust. Hence, add the apple filling to each pie crust.
- Moreover, cover the top with the rest of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Following, let the pie cool.
Tips to Make Nutty Pie
In addition, it is important to purchase a food scale to weigh gluten-free flour to prevent adding too much to the recipe. Also, apple types can make a difference for example to retain shape. Therefore, some apples can get extra mushy after being cooked or too soft. Moreover, Granny Smith and Red Delicious are some of the ones that stay in shape.